Different flavors.

Different flavors.

Monday, June 25, 2012

My Internship in GMA



April 11, 2012 marked the start of my internship as well as the beginning of a whole whirlwind experience.


Before my internship application to GMA Network Inc. I always looked forward to working in their News and Public Affairs Department. With a sudden twist of fate I was one of the lucky students who were assigned to work under it and, luckier enough, got to work with the people in GMA NewsTV Channel 11 for a show called I Juander. At first, I tried to learn the ropes.


Apparently it was not the exact environment I am expecting although most part of it was. The office was located in almost entire of the 8th floor; moreover, it housed cubicles, one for each show. The workplace seemed fine to me which I considered resembled that of a corporate office with only a streak of informality because the department was not very strict on dress code. I believe that served one good point working in media—you can wear almost anything and everything you want!


            As I started early on April, I also decided to maximize the daily 8 hour limit for my internship so I can finish early on May and shall have time to take another for a different company. Anyhow, I can say the first thing I learned was discipline. Being on time and following the rules and regulations of the company shall always keep you “safe”. There happened a time when I broke a rule because I ate breakfast inside the office and got scolded by the guard. I felt scared because I thought he reported me to the management but he was kind enough so I got away with it. Since then I realized how breaking even a simple rule can put an employee into a bad position.


            Moving on to the highlight of my internship, “the work experience”, I must say I learned a lot but owing it more to the Executive Producer of the show, whom by the way, was a UST alumni so I considered myself extra fortunate since, after all, bosses had the bias. The work focused more on pre-production thus we did mostly research, contacted people, research, and helped the researcher. J Although I regularly wrote the program synopsis I felt I deserve to do more such as being involved with the ‘field work’. Sadly, the rulebook strictly stated interns were not allowed to leave the network’s premises during working hours. 


            Nevertheless, speaking of the best part, I really did like the weekly Post Mortem. During each airing, the staff assembled in a room and brainstormed about the strengths, weaknesses, improvements, and everything that can contribute for the show. Every time I attended the meeting, I thought I am very privileged to be speaking with people whom were very good and experienced with the work. This, in turn, made me aspire to develop my potentials even more. I also had to watch some live taping/airing of the program inside the newsroom, plus, met a lot of respected newscasters with the likes of Jessica Soho, Kara David, Cesar Apolinario, Howie Severino, Pia Arcangel, some industry celebrities, and professional people behind the camera.


            My internship experience offered me a window of opportunities I cannot compare with any other. I am glad that UST, particularly Faculty of Arts and Letters; Media Studies Department, made us undergone through a strict compliance to ensure credibility of the program/company and the safety of students. UST assured the whole process from application to evaluation—everything, be in order and close watch of every practicum adviser.


            Given the chance, I evaluate my internship experience as good enough. In the end, the things that always matter most from it are learning and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment